Thursday 26 May 2011

REVIEW: Die for Me (Revenants #1) by Amy Plum

Author: Amy Plum
Pages: 344
Genre: YA
Publisher: Harper Teen
AMAZON: Die for Me

From the blurb. (Goodreads)

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.
Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.
Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.
Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.
While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?

REVIEW: 4 out of 5 stars

After the death of their parents in a tragic car accident, grief-stricken Kate and Georgia Mercier move to Paris to live with their grandparents, a place they both loved growing up as young girls and a place they can hope to move on from bad memories. Whilst party-loving Georgia seems to be getting on with her life, Kate has become a recluse and disconnected from friends and memories of her past, she finds solace in her books but needs to find her purpose and a way to learn to live again as well as cope with her loss.

When Kate starts to venture out, she continues to bump into a gorgeous boy, her interest in piqued and she is intrigued by the handsome stranger who also appears to have an interest in her.

Vincent Delacroix is not your average teenager; he is mysterious and darkly handsome with an old world charm. When strange events begin to happen around him, Kate starts questioning who or what he really is.

Vincent is a Revenant or as they call themselves, a Zombie; I won’t reveal Vincent’s purpose but the world Ms Plum has created is unique, fascinating, certainly unusual, detailed and original.

Where there is good, there more often than not is evil, in this case it is the Numa; I enjoyed how things played out and although the action was quite brief, the story behind the ongoing feud was fascinating, I enjoyed the history.

I liked the main protagonists; they were practical and didn’t fall into the typical cliché of YA heroes/heroines; I enjoyed the relationship development and chemistry between Kate & Vincent, despite their instant attraction it was a slow progression to earn each others trust in order to live in each others worlds; Their initial meeting wasn’t exactly memorable unless it was based on looks alone so I would have liked to know why Vincent had such an attraction for Kate, it is mentioned Revenants at times become obsessed with those they save but it wasn’t the case in this instance. Am I the only person who wishes at times that the heroines were a tad bit older?

The secondary characters were well thought out and entertaining, the close bond between not only the Kindred but also Kate and her family was refreshing.

I love the romantic and picturesque setting of Paris; the descriptive details were wonderful, I have always loved all things Parisian so I was captured by the location.

I had read a number of reviews noting many similarities with Twilight & I honestly couldn’t see the comparisons, except maybe the romance; young girl falling for the handsome immortal but this seems to be the main prose in all YA novels so is not something new.

It is a well-structured world with a fascinating and fast-paced plot that kept me interested, it was a satisfying ending and I am keen to read book 2, Until I Die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)