Tuesday 15 November 2011

REVIEW: Pyxis (The Discovery) by K.C Neal

Author: K.C Neal
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 216
Publisher: StoneHouse Ink
Amazon: Pyxis

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Two worlds.... One 16-year-old girl must learn to protect them both. The nightmares haunting Corinne and her friend Mason hint at a universe that exists beyond the one they know. Her destiny is to protect a weakness between the two worlds, but the person who was supposed to teach her how is dead. As Corinne and Mason search for answers, she tries to ignore the sparks igniting between them, but can't deny she feels safe only when he's nearby. Will they find help before their nightmares break free?

REVIEW: 4 out of 5 stars

Pyxis is a great start to this wonderful and exciting new series by K.C Neal.

Pyxis follows the story of 16 year-old High school student Corinne who notices changes in her friends and her popularity after using unusual dyes from a strange box left to her by her late grandmother in a school bake sale and then starts to dream of things she believes are really happening, her life becomes quite interesting and complicated and finding out answers may be a little hard to come by when she doesn’t know who she can trust or go to for the answers she seeks.

We are taken on an exciting journey full of mystery and intrigue in Pyxis to learn more about what the main characters - Corinne, Mason and Angeline's purpose is within a group known as the Pyramidal Union, what its meaning and purpose is as well as their birthright and destiny.

I enjoyed the mystery surrounding the Pyramidal Union and what it actually was, the box with the colored liquids and the list of names certainly had me curious. I was really eager to find out more about the Pyxis, Shield and Guardian’s – especially who the second person could possibly be. The idea of a Parallel Universe is certainly something I am keen to learn more about and also the way in which  each of the members would be protecting it.

I thoroughly enjoyed each of the characters, our main protagonist Corinne was really well written, she was take charge, sweet, confident and a devoted friend. You can’t help but adore Mason, he was the perfect best friend, love interest and protector for Corinne and Angeline seemed to be the logical one amongst the group, they fit really well together and are each characters you could easily relate to.

There is a lot of world building which is typical in the first book of a series but I never found it to be overly descriptive or annoying where I generally tend to find myself skimming; there are a lot of unanswered question so I am quite eager to get hold of book two to find our more about the magical world Ms Neal has created.

I really liked the romance, it is there but not overly done, it was really really sweet and I can’t wait to see more of Mason and Corinne together in the sequel. It was such a breath of fresh air to have no insta-love declarations or love triangles, just a nice, slowly developing relationship which has grown from a long friendship.

The plot is evenly paced and flows well, Ms Neal’s writing is certainly engaging, each of the young characters are written in a way which is typical of their maturity - their emotions and dialogue were perfect for their age and depicted in a way that didn’t make them seem older than they are which I am finding in a few YA novels these days. I also loved Corinne’s family unit, they were each supportive and actually present in her life – I really liked this aspect of Pyxis.

All in all, Pyxis was a wonderful, entertaining and quick read! I am really eager to get my hands on the next installment to learn more of this exciting new world.

 
Obtained: Amazon for Kindle

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the write-up, Sharon! Love reading about your reactions to the characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I LOVE the sound of this book! It sounds exactly like the kind of book I'd love to read! And it makes me happy that there's a bit of mystery in it because those ones are always so cool -- I seriously need to read this book soon! :)

    Awesome review, Sharon! I'm really glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover of this book and the concept sounds fabulous!!!! I want to read this one soooo bad. I love reading myteries so this book sounds perfect with the perfect blend of paranormal and reality!

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)