Monday 6 February 2012

REVIEW: Whispers in the Dark (KGI #4) by Maya Banks

Author: Maya Banks
Series: KGI
Pages: 333
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: Berkley
Amazon: Whispers in the Dark

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Nathan is being held captive and is in agony. His saving grace is the voice of an angel who eases his pain and helps him regain enough strength to escape. When he does, she leaves him with a void that he can barely stand. When he escapes and returns to the KGI, he hears her again-now "she" needs "him."
Her name is Shae, and she's on the run with her sister. A government group wants to harness their abilities to heal. The KGI wants to help- but can Nathan quiet his soulmate's doubts and convince her that they are meant to face these dangers together?

REVIEW: 4 out of 5 stars

Whispers in the Dark is the 4th book in Maya Banks KGI series and follows youngest brother, Nathan Kelly’s story.

Nathan whilst on tour in Afghanistan was taken hostage and tortured for information, witnessing extreme horrors he is left broken until he hears the voice of an angel who surrounds him with her warmth and plots a plan to help him escape.

Shea Peterson has telepathy and the ability to take away pain, her ability is random but she has honed in on Nathan during his ordeal and has formed a bond to the weakened soldier. Shea has been on the run along with her sister Grace who also has a special ability since the death of their parents, she has no idea who is after them except they are wanting to exploit and use them for their extraordinary abilities.

With Shea’s help, Nathan and his team mate Swanny are able to escape, rescued by his brothers he is on his way home but the connection he has to Shea has also been broken leaving him questioning his sanity and becoming a recluse. It isn’t until a few months after that he hears a weakened plea of help from Shea and knows he can’t sit back and let it pass.

I was quite surprised by Ms Banks Paranormal twist, I was a little skeptical at first with how it would all work but she seemed to pull it off. Whispers in the Dark was a riveting read which kept me wanting to turn the pages, there were a number of twists and turns I never would have expected and the ongoing action kept the pacing even.

Now the romance I was a little iffy about, I enjoyed the bond created between Shea and Nathan but his caveman act at times was a little too much for my liking. He certainly pulled off the dominant alpha male role perfectly but I found him to be quite gruff and demanding whilst Shea on the other hand was meek and mellow. The connection and inner talk between them I felt was sweet but it wasn’t one of my favorite Kelly relationships.

I absolutely love the dynamics of the Kelly family and it is always nice to catch up with the brothers and their wives, they all pull together when one of their own is put in harms way and offer the support and love we have come to enjoy from this series. I hope Ms Banks continues this with the other books as this support system works really well. I am also quite keen to read about other secondary characters, Swanny especially as well as the non-Kelly members of the KGI team - Cole, Rio, P.J and Steele.

I enjoyed the suspense, angst, action and mystery, Ms Banks has a way of pulling you into the story she is telling and never letting up; I was captivated.

Although these books could be read as stand-alone, I would highly recommend you read them in order to get the full effect of the Kelly clan.

I am excited to read the next book in this series, Echoes at Dawn which is Rio and Grace’s story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)