Monday 23 April 2012

REVIEW: The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa

 
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden
Pages: 504
Genre: Young Adult – Paranormal
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Australian Release Date: 1st May 2012
Source: Morey Media
www.harlequinbooks.com.au and in book stores nationally for 
RRP AU$19.99/NZ$22.99

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of
them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

REVIEW: 5 out of 5 stars

I absolutely loved Ms Kagawa’s Iron Fey series so when I was offered the chance to read The Immortal Rules, her new book in the Blood of Eden series I jumped at the opportunity.

Allison ‘Allie’ Sekemoto tries to survive daily as a human living in a world ruled by Vampires; she is hardened and street smart and takes the risks necessary to stay alive and to avoid the Vampires who she despises. On a night out collecting food, she and her team are ambushed by Rabids and she is damaged to the point of death when a Vampire comes along and gives her the option of permanent death or becoming an Undead – she chooses the latter despite how she feels about them.

Allie lives in a dystopian world created as a result of a virus that virtually wiped out the human population; they are now used as pets to the Vampires and are more or less their food supply. I enjoyed this concept and how it all came about, it was creative and certainly a different take on the vampires we are so used to reading about.

When Allie was changed, it was still a daily battle to survive but with her new mentor and Sire Kanin by her side teaching her the Vampire ways and how to fight, she was able to get by – that is until she was left to fend for herself and trying to retain her humanity.

As Allie begins to make her journey alone, she stumbles across a group in search of Eden, a place where there could be a possible cure. It is here she meets Ezekiel ‘Zeke’ and friends who take her in unaware of what she is. Every step of the way there was an obstacle which they needed to face, the biggest being the rabids who were relentless and ferocious.

I loved each of the secondary characters – both bad and good were well fleshed out and likeable; Kanin’s hard edge and the air of mystery surrounding him had me intrigued, he was harsh in his teachings but still protected Allie, I am keen to see what is to come of him in the next installment. Zeke has a heart of gold and I instantly fell for his caring, protective nature. Other characters such as Stick, Darren, Jeb, Ruth and Caleb were also enjoyable but I was saddened by the demise of some of them.

The romance was written to perfection, it was there but not in the forefront of this story, it was a slow progression that I am eager to see developed although I am curious to see how a Vampire/Human relationship could possibly work unless Zeke was willingly changed??

I really enjoyed how the book was split into four parts which showed the transition Allie was going through – Human, Vampire, Monster and Wanderer; it was great to have this insight and to see her progression.

Ms Kagawa’s writing is flawless and she has the most brilliant imagination; the world she has created is absolutely gripping and her take on Vampires was refreshing. The emotions portrayed were realistic, the characters each written well and the fast-paced action scenes conveyed imminent danger vividly. It was a book that held me captivated from the first to the very last page.

The Immortal Rules is a wonderful start to this new series, I am really eager to read more about the journey Allie is about to undertake.
  
Thank-you kindly to Jess at Morey Media for providing me with an ARC copy of The Immortal Rules.


7 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this book! I loved being brought back to the evil vampires and you're right Julie's writing is flawless! Love your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 4 parts were excellent - I was wondering if that's something she does in all her books? (I haven't read the Iron Fey yet, but after this book? They are a high priority!)

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet review..i loved this book and your review nails it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I'm soooo glad you enjoyed this one; it sounds so good and I'm so happy I'll get to pick it up REAL soon. I'm looking forward to it a whole lot and hope I'll love it just as much as most seem to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank-you so much to you all for stopping by! it was a thoroughly enjoyable read.

    Jac: You will love the Iron Fey series! I don't remember them being separated into parts as this one was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Allie a lot of course but I really loved Kanin-there has to be a lot more of him in the next book because I want to know everything about him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book is really fantastic.. so fantastic, in fact, that I almost forgot to mention why. Well, here is my reason: too much. What do I mean by that? Too much going on. Just when I would get used to something, she'd change it up on me. I was getting used to Kanin being around and she takes him away (I was loving him!). I was used to Allie traveling on her own and she throws the human group into the mix. I was used to that group and then she took them away. It's like she didn't give Allie enough time to get used to anyone or to get close to them. I appreciate that the book was never boring, but I was a little disappointed, mostly that Kanin was taken out so early.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)