Sunday 20 May 2012

REVIEW: The Hunt (The Hunt #1) by Andrew Fukuda

The Hunt 
Author: Andrew Fukuda
Series: The Hunt
Pages: 304
Genre: Young Adult - Dystopian
Publisher: St. Martins Griffin
Amazon: The Hunt

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Don’t Sweat. Don’t Laugh. Don’t draw attention to yourself. And most of all, whatever you do, do not fall in love with one of them.

Gene is different from everyone else around him. He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood. Gene is a human, and he knows the rules. Keep the truth a secret. It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood.

When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him. He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity?

REVIEW: 2.5 out of 5 stars

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda follows the story of Gene, a Heper (Human) trying to blend in to a world ruled by Vampires.

When an announcement is made there is to be a lotto for a Heper Hunt; the Vampire community is thrilled but Gene is panicked that he may actually be chosen and have to hunt, kill and eat other humans who are now virtually extinct. When his numbers are picked he is transferred to a compound where he will train and participate in this much anticipated event, all the while having to hide his true identity.

I was so intrigued by the premise of this book; how Gene could live a lie for so long had me truly stumped! He had to shave his body hair, wear fangs, conceal his odor and train himself to hide all mannerisms and emotions a human would use – I would have failed miserably. The Vampires were repulsive and bizarre (constant drooling/armpit smex/itchy wrists instead of laughing) and their ways certainly vulgar but the concept I found to be interesting.

There was a lot of build up to the hunt and unfortunately for me when it actually happened, it was quite anticlimactic; I really expected more. The plot was intriguing but I am curious about what had actually happened to the human race, I found the details on this to be lacking and hoped more of a back-story would have been given.

A lot of the story was too unrealistic for me to fully appreciate it, I know that with so many vampire novels on the market new and exciting concepts are needed but they should also be practical and convincing and for me The Hunt didn’t have either of these.

The Hunt for me was a bit of a let down; I expected so much more unfortunately. It is gruesome at times and certainly kept me on the edge of seat wanting to know what would happen next, but it was never anything that had me truly surprised and the characters each fell flat for me.

I did enjoy Mr Fukuda’s writing and reading from a male POV, but sadly this story just wasn’t for me.



4 comments:

  1. This books sounds great. My library has it, gonna get it now. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thats very sad. This book sounded really good... until i read the review. I agree that new concepts are few and far between these days, So its unfortunate it didnt end up better.
    Thank you for the review.

    (new follower)
    theresamjones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. bummers! I've heard similar things where people liked the premise but that it was a little too unbelievable. Oh well! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry you didn't enjoy this as much as I did. I liked the male pov too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)