Monday 24 September 2012

ARC Review: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey, Call of the Forgotten) by Julie Kagawa

Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey, Call of the Forgotten
Pages: 379
Genre: YA – Fantasy
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Amazon Pre-order: The Lost Prince
Australian Release Date: 1st November 2012

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Don't look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.That is Ethan Chase's unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he'd dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister's world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

Review: 4 ½ out of 5 stars
I absolutely adored the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa so I was really excited to receive an advanced readers copy of The Lost Prince from Harlequin Teen Australia which is the first book in The Iron Fey, Call of the Forgotten series.


The Lost Prince is Ethan Chase’s story, the young brother of the Iron Queen Meghan Chase. When his half-breed Phouka friend, Todd goes missing and the creepy Fey he has always tried to avoid suddenly spring up, Ethan has to get involved in a world he has tried to steer clear of since Meghan made her decision to leave.

I didn’t enjoy Ethan as a character in the initial stages, he was rebellious, sullen and hostile to everyone he came across – he despised the land of Faery and has never wanted anything to do with it but his bitterness could be forgiven after everything he has had to endure, he has been tormented by the Fey for years; it was easy to sympathize with him and I really grew to like him as our main hero.

MacKenzie ‘Kenzie’ St. James, Ethan’s love interest was just as stubborn as he was but I did quite like her and was surprised and really saddened by her secret; I am glad she was able to break through Ethan’s tough guy façade; they worked well together.

The plot and pacing flowed beautifully; Ethan’s journey through NeverNever was filled with action, adventure and despair all to warn Faeryland that a new kind of creepy fey, the Forgotten are rising.

I liked the supporting cast, in particular Keirran who was so intriguing, I enjoyed him as a character and I’m definitely eager to read more about him and Annwyl, his forbidden love interest.

Julie Kagawa has crafted a wonderful fantasy that kept me entertained throughout, the complex world she has created is breathtaking and well thought out; the detailed descriptions and wonderful characters leap from the pages and I was so pleased to see cameo appearances from Meghan, Ash, Puck, and the amazing Grimalkin.

The writing is brilliant and Ms Kagawa’s imagination and creativity absolutely outstanding! I am always wary of spin-offs but this book worked perfectly.

Thank-you to Harlequin Teen Australia for the opportunity to read an ARC of The Lost Prince.


5 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed this. I got this on netgalley and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Iron Fey series is by far one of my favorite series on the market. I was so sad when it ended last year with The Iron Knight. :/
    With that said, I honestly haven't decided if I want to read this spin-off. I love Julie, I do. And I'm really enjoying her new Blood of Eden series...but I'm always a bit wary with spin-offs. Sometimes, I feel like the original series is fine ended as it is and there shouldn't necessarily be anything else or it could get to be "too much". Know what I mean? I'm also not a fan of the idea of reading Ethan so many years later, after I want to remember him as that adorable little brother.

    So this one is just on my maybe list for now, I'm sad to say. Other than that, I'll most definitely read pretty much anything Julie writes because she's so fantastic. :)

    I keep seeing such great reviews though, like yours. I'll keep an eye out and an open-mind. I might change it and decide to go after it sometime soon after all. ;) Fantastic review! Thank you for sharing and I'm glad it didn't let you down!

    <3
    Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review.....

    to me - just give me anything @Jkagawa and i'll swallow it happily.....i loved this book....specially the plot and how the author creates another story from the Nevernever.....ahhh so much potential....

    i'll be posting my review of it tomorrow so please do check it out...

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to start this book so bad!! But apparently I need to finish Iron Knight before this!! *sad face*


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really excited to read this! I'm happy you enjoyed The Lost Prince so much. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)