Friday 21 December 2012

Review: Betrayed (The Guardian Legacy #2) by Ednah Walters

Betrayed (The Guardian Legacy, #2) 

Author: Ednah Walters
Series: The Guardian Legacy
Pages: 336
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal
Amazon: Betrayed

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Lil isn't just an average teenager. She's one of the Nephilim--the descendants of humans and angels--which gives her some serious psi skills and a mission for redemption. Just when Lil thinks she's found a balance between her normal life with human friends and her training to become a Guardian, she's warned that someone close to her will betray her. When the boy she loves starts acting strangely and one of her human friends acquires a supernatural ability, Lil begins to realize that someone is manipulating the people she loves... and won't stop until she's been lured to the dark side.

REVIEW: 4 ½ out of 5 stars

Betrayed is the second book in The Guardian Legacy series by Ednah Walters and was kindly provided to me by Spencer Hill Press.

I thoroughly enjoyed Awakened, the first book in the series so I was really eager to dive into Betrayed and I am thankful it was everything I had been hoping for.

Lil is trying to juggle her Human/Guardian life as well as she possibly can but is also adapting to her duty as the Chosen One; she has been through a lot but has really grown as a character; she is still kick-butt and amazing but is also caring, strong-willed and innocent which I really liked and in this installment we see her having to deal with many obstacles, including her relationship with Bran Llyr.

Bran begins to push Lil away when he receives an assignment, it was his chance to prove his capabilities and worth but it was at the expense of his relationship with Lil and his friends. I was left heartbroken by his words and behavior, he certainly needed a kick up the you know what at certain times.

Betrayed was such an emotional read on so many levels; Lil and Bran are one of my favourite book couples but there were many secrets, miscommunications and betrayals that I honestly started to doubt the strength of their relationship but in saying this, there were also some pretty sweet moments which would make up for it. It was also difficult seeing Lil deal with her conflicted feelings about her father.

I love to focus on the relationship, but it certainly isn't at the forefront of the story; I think the wonderful tale Ms. Walters has weaved surrounding the nephilim is thoroughly entertaining and written in a way which brings a uniqueness to the who angel/demon lore.

Each of the secondary characters are easy to connect with and play an important role in this book, I especially love the close bond Lil shares with her grandfather but wished they could have been more open and upfront with one another. Sykes is a classic and I quite liked Celeste, a newcomer to the story. The villain was written to perfection, I loved to despise him – he played the part perfectly.

I enjoyed the non-stop heart pounding action which kept the story flowing well, there was a lot happening but never a time where I felt confused or lost and we are given many twists and turns to keep things interesting. Ms Walters writing is really captivating and really keeps you turning the pages.

Betrayed is the perfect sequel to Awakened, it is packed with action, humor, angst, drama and betrayal. I am keen to read the next book in this amazing series, Hunted which has an anticipated April 2013 release.

Thank-you kindly to Spencer Hill Press for providing me with a copy of Betrayed.

 

4 comments:

  1. I loved Ednah's adult contemp series, I've been wondering about this one! I was worried about the angel/demon thing and if it would be fresh anymore so I'm so, so glad to hear you say that there are some unique things. I love my villains too. :) Great review, Sharon! I'm going shopping after Christmas, lalala. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara :) I didn't know she had an adult contemp series so I'll have to check it out. I love Ednah's writing and this series is wonderful! I'm not a big fan of Angel books usually but this one keeps me interested.

      Delete
  2. Woot..another adult contemp to add to my list, i love hearing book two delivered..i am devouring these right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this series! I hope you get to read them, book 2 is definitely as good as book 1 :)

      Delete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)