Saturday 15 October 2016

Review:The Dead Boyfriend by R.L Stine (Fear Street relaunch)

The Dead Boyfriend by R.L. StineThe Dead Boyfriend

Author: R.L Stine
Series: Fear Street relaunch
Publisher: St Martin’s Press
Release date: 27th September 2016
Pages: 288

Synopsis (Goodreads)

R.L. Stine's Fear Street series is back, and in The Dead Boyfriend, he tells the frightening tale of teenage love - and how it can go terribly, murderously wrong. 

Caitlin has never had a real boyfriend before. When she starts seeing Colin, she throws herself into the relationship with fervor. She ignores her friends who warn her that Colin may be a phony and that she is taking the whole thing too seriously. Caitlin is smitten. She doesn't care if she loses her friends. All she wants is Colin. When Caitlin approaches Colin with another girl, she completely loses it. She snaps. Everything goes red. When she comes back to her senses, she realizes that Colin is dead - and she has killed him. 

But if Colin is dead, how is he staring at her across a crowded party? 

Terrifying from the first page to the last, The Dead Boyfriend is a heart-racing young adult novel from the master of teen screams himself.
 

Review: 2 out of 5 stars (me) & 4 out of 5 stars (my son)

My son has recently started to read the R.L. Stine Goosebumps series which he has thoroughly enjoyed so we decided to do a read-a-long of this title but unfortunately it failed to wow and impress me, my son on the other hand thought that it was pretty awesome (his words).

A lot of the book is told in the synopsis so I won’t recap, we do get a lot of freaky moments, the typical mean girl, an unusual mystery and a freaky weird romance gone wrong!

The MC Caitlyn is crazy weird, she is unusual and impulsive as is gothic girl Deena Fear! The only normal characters seem to be Caitlyn’s best friends.

My son asked many questions as we were reading along and I was constantly shaking my head wondering WTF but thankfully Stine had answered the questions by the end of the book.
We also get a small twist but it was quite obvious and didn’t have us going oh wow as we have in the Goosebumps books. The ending though I felt was a  huge let down and definitely not what we expected but we really should know better after having read so many of Stine’s books.

I think this is a great book for a teen, my adult self couldn’t really get into it but my son enjoyed it immensely.

*ARC Provided by St Martin’s Press via NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)